Monday 28 March 2011

The birth of my blog..and the birth of my baby!

I have decided to write this blog and dedicate it to all things baby. I know there are a lot of mummy blogs out there and I have a lot to learn but I am hoping that it will grow and I will eventually know what I am doing!

I have always enjoyed writing and I am hoping that this will be a way of documenting my little daughter as she grows and enjoys discovering the world around her.

I thought that my first post on my shiny, spanky, new blog should be quite rightly about my shiny, spanky, new daughter.

Madeleine was born on the 24th December 2010 and is currently 13 weeks old. I do feel awful that out of any day she could have made an appearance, it had to be on Christmas Eve. I am sure that she will grow up hating us for having conceived her in time to come for Christmas! It was the best Christmas present we could have wished for, but I am not sure she will think of this as a good thing.

She was due on the 31st December, but came a week early by caesarian section due to the fact that she was breech. I had quite a few scans before she was born and at each scan they said that she would turn and therefore be allowed to come naturally, but each scan came and went and she was still lodged with her head underneath my right rib. I knew deep down she wouldn't move, especially when they told us that she was big.

And I was proven correct....I got to 38 weeks and she hadn't moved so I was booked in for a c-section the following week.

On Friday 24th December Mr E and I arrived at the hospital at 8am. We were told that we were the only elective section booked in that day. (Funny given the choice, it is not a date most people decide on!) We were told the surgeon would be along to see us soon.
We didn't realise how soon! At 8.30am the surgeon came and told us that they would be ready for us soon. Mr E was given some scrubs to put on. (He would look rather sexy as a doctor if I don't say so myself!) We were then walked down to theatre.

When we got there I was surprised by how many people were there- at least seven of them all ready to have a peek at what was going on down there!

The anaesthetist put the needle in my spine in order to give me an epidural and within minutes the whole of my lower body went numb. I remember saying to one of the midwives that we should be listening to christmas songs so they flicked through the radio trying to find some, but in the end we settled for Oasis!

They put a large blue sheet up so we couldn't see what was going on and Mr E sat close to my head and held my hand. I remember hearing them say that it wouldn't be long and we heard a suction which Mr E thought was them shaving the area, in actual fact they had already cut me and this sound was them breaking my waters. Two seconds later we heard the most incredible sound in the world- a loud, wet scream- at 9.35am our beautiful daughter Madeleine was born.

I can't describe the feeling of hearing that cry. The last nine months of nerves, excitement, and occasional paranoia were all over and our little angel was here. They showed me her quickly and then took her over to check her and weigh her. She weighed 9lbs which is pretty big! Mr E was over there with her and they all kept saying she was lovely and she had a lot of hair. Eventually they bought her over to me and I got to hold her for the first time. This was without a doubt, the most amazing moment of my life so far. She stared at me with these large innocent eyes, and I never felt so much love. I cuddled her for ages while they stapled me back up.

Then they wheeled us back through into labour ward where our journey together would begin...

And this is where this blog begins...

No comments: