Wednesday 27 April 2011

The Gallery- Green Eyed Monster

So the theme for this weeks 'The Gallery' is 'Green.'  I actually thought this was tougher than the previous two weeks themes, mainly because I wanted to do something different than take a nature shot. (Basically because I am a terrible photographer it would pale in comparison to some of the amazing ones I am sure we will see this week!)


Therefore I thought I would do my own interpretation on the theme.






Yes that is me.  It is the most hideous picture I could find.  I was drunk at the time but thats no excuse.


Green eyed monster.  Jealousy.  Envy.  Green with envy.


However you say it, we have all been jealous at times.  It is human nature.


I have found recently that my green eyed monster has come out on several occasions, always at the same subject and it is not something I am proud of.


Going back to work.


I have been lucky to meet some lovely friends since having my daughter, mainly through my NCT classes and going to local baby groups.  I have met people from all walks of life, but a lot of the women that I have met do not have to go back to work and are going to be Stay at Home Mums.


I always thought that I was quite career orientated but since having Mads I have absolutely no desire to go back to work until she is older and goes to nursery properly.  It's not that I hate my job, its just that I want to be at home with my daughter and not have to leave her with someone else when she is less than a year old.


Don't get me wrong.  I have absolutely nothing against people who go back to work full time or people who choose to stay at home full time- it is their choice.  But I want to be at home with my daughter.  Not all the time, I do still want to go back to work a couple of days a week.  It isn't the fact that they are off work all the time that gets me jealous.  It is that they have the choice.


We are very lucky to have a wonderful home which I am very proud of.  Unfortunately with said home comes a massive mortgage and a lot of outgoings.  Basically we have issues every way you look at it.  We can't afford for me to go back to work full time due to the cost of childcare and travel.  We can't afford for me to go back to work part time because my part time wage won't even cover the cost of my half of the outgoing bills.  And we most certainly can't afford for me to be making no money at all.


And thats why my green eyed monster comes out.  Just because I wish for once we didn't have to worry about money.  Compared to a lot of people I know we are so fortunate, we both earn decent wages and have a lovely home, but unfortunately all our money is tied up.  In a few years it will be fine but not at the moment.  I just wish I could afford enough to spend time with my daughter and not worry about every single penny.


So thats what is making me 'green' at the moment.  A slight different interpretation on the theme I know.


Head over to Tara's blog 'Sticky Fingers' to see some more normal green themes.





P.S I am going to win the lottery so don't feel too sorry for me.


P.P.S I don't look like that in real life....honest.

17 comments:

Mummy...Mummy.....MUM!! said...

Thats fantastic! Love it! x

Mummy...Mummy.....MUM!! said...

and I hope the work situation sorts itself out for you. x

Jenny said...

Scary pic! Lol great take on the theme :)

Kizzy said...

Great interpretation! Love the photo and yes there is a green eyed monster in us all!
Good luck with everything!
P.s if you do win the lottery, you have my email address!

Lauren said...

I love this interpretation.

I am lucky enough to be able to be a stay at home mum. Unfortunately it affected one friendship I had, said person was very jealous and decided to just generally be nasty and horrid to me. Nevermind, her loss ;-)

Good luck with the lottery win xx

Mrs E said...

I just hate having to worry about money! Whatever way we do it we will still have to worry so I think the best is just for me to stay off completely! ;)

amberjas said...

Awwww, things sound a bit tough right now, I hope everything works out for you ... Great interpretation of the theme though ;)

Unknown said...

A lovely post and I understand what you are saying. I hope it all goes ok and keep us posted! x

multiplemummy said...

Excellent theme choice idea, and I totally understnad where you are coming from. Choice is such a key thing and if we lose it, it feels like our freedom has gone. When I had the twins I knew work was out of the question as 3 under 15 months and childcare costs were not a worker, but actually as much as I enjoy being a SAHM I would in fact love to work two days a week. I worked hard at my teaching career and really enjoyed it. And being a SAHM has forced us to one wage. It's life, I wouldn't not have the children and I am lucky to get to see them everyday, but the green eyed monster for choice does happen now and again!

xx

SeaThreePeeO said...

Excellent post and a great take on the theme!

Mummy and the Beastie said...

Waaa scary Mama! great idea you clever thing.

Money is the source of all problems, maternity leave is a special time but it tainted by money worries :-( xx

MichelleTwinMum said...

Great post, exactly the same interpretation I had. My post was titled Green with Envy but I decided not to post it.

I knwo how you feel about the being at work. Not so much now but when my son was young I got a real case of envy of lots of the rich mums from the NCT group. I foudn I had to leave it for my own sanity!

I nwo work p/t and it is agreta compromise. I hope you amnage to get something sorted in the future which suits you better.

Mich x

overthehillmum said...

It made me laugh that you admitted to being drunk. I thought you'd taken the photo specially lol.

Unknown said...

Great take on the theme and a very cool (if somewhat scary!) photo! :)

As you know I'm a SAHM - think my name gives it away hehe! I have always worked from the age of 16 so I thought it was about time I had some time off for good behaviour (I'm 36 now). We don't struggle for money but we certainly aren't flush - we get by making a few sacrifices here and there and it works.

I really hope that you find some sort of middle ground where you feel happy. I'm sure it will all fall into place.

Hugs xx

Elle and Belle said...

I great interpretation of the theme, and a bravely posted photo!

Mari's World said...

Oh the money one, that gets me too every time. Funnily enough I cna't go back to work as we can't afford to put twins into full time nursery! So we just go without stuff and at times that is hard too.
Praying for better times ahead, for me and you

Mirka said...

Love your green monster photo ;) And the money? It's always a problem, when you don't have enough you complain, and we we do, we complain about different things....kids grow up so quickly, so enjoy every minute when you can be at home with her ;) @Kahanka