Friday, 1 April 2011

My first ever flashback Friday.....Those two little lines!

So for my first ever Flashback Friday I thought that I would write about one of the most important days of my life....the day I found out I was going to be a mummy.

Mr E and I got married in December 2009 and I was desperate to become a mummy and he a daddy so on our rather lavish honeymoon to Mexico and Miami (which we are still paying for!) we talked about starting a family asap.

Roll on four months later and we didn't realise it was going to happen quite so quickly...

I was away on my own in Bournemouth for a business trip.  I knew that the dreaded Auntie Flo (sorry!) was due to be making an appearance on the Tuesday but I arrived in Bournemouth on the Sunday night and the whole way in the car I couldn't stop thinking about it.  Was this going to be the month?  Was there a little poppy seed growing in there already?  

Me being me couldn't wait to test till Tuesday even though I had promised myself that I would this month.  So as soon as I got to my hotel room I dug out one of my little white sticks.  Even though they say to use first morning wee I thought I may as well give it a go and I wouldn't be disappointed if it was negative because firstly I was doing it in the evening, and secondly I was two days early testing.

I sat down in my rather swanky bathroom (one of the perks of working in the travel industry- they always give you the nicest room) and did my business.

I felt nervous waiting the two minutes and put it on the sink and told myself not to peek.

Obviously I didn't wait the two minutes, I got as far as about thirty seconds, and then I tentatively picked the test up to have a look.

This is what I saw.....

Yes this is the actual stick- maybe a bit strange to take photos of it but I think I was a little delirious at the time.

When I saw this, I actually felt like I was going to faint.  I didn't think that it was going to be positive if I am honest, and so I was a bit shocked and I didn't really know what to do or how to react.

Here I was in a hotel room in the middle of Bournemouth, Mr E was miles away at home none the wiser and now I wasn't quite sure what to do.

So I did what everyone would do in my situation...

I danced around the room.  Literally.  I danced around and shrieked and actually jumped on the bed.  

Then after a few minutes of doing this I did what every insane newly pregnant woman would do.  I peed on another little white stick.  Just to check.

Then I danced and shrieked and jumped on the bed some more because the two little lines appeared again.

After this I was faced with a dilemma.  What to do now?  There was no way I was going to tell Mr E over the phone as I wanted to see his face when I told him I was growing a little person in my tummy.

I hadn't thought of this.  Now I was in Bournemouth with lots of business meetings planned until Thursday and it was only Sunday.  That was a lot of sleeps till I was due home.

So I did what every insane newly pregnant woman would do.  I went to the supermarket and bought more little white sticks.

And over the course of four days I peed on a lot of them.  And lots of lines appeared.  Some words too on the fancy digital ones.  All showing the same clear message- that I was going to be a mummy.

And I took a lot more photos!

Those few days were probably the most exciting, happy and frustrating of my life as I couldn't wait to go home and tell Mr E.

Eventually Thursday came and I must have gone about 90mph down the M25 to get home.  (I don't advocate speeding but this was an emergency!)

Finally I got home and Mr E was chilling on the sofa.  I sat down and finally got to tell him the news- he was going to be a daddy.  The look on his face was priceless and worth the four days of torture.

Unfortunately I don't have a photo of that!


Mummy and the Beastie said...

You must have spent a fortune on the tests, it made me laugh at the picture of the assortment lined up! Just to make sure! You did well with those 4 days.

With my pregnancy I was wrapped up planning my wedding and Aunt Flo had been all over the place, the first sign was I was off my breakfast (unheard of!) and my Mum told me to take a test. So 4 days before my wedding I stared in disbelief at the faint line. My husband bought one of the digital ones as he didn't believe it and wanted to be there, anyway due to him pressurising me to pee I messed up the test by not peeing enough! So we didn't do another. Hey presto baby! :-)

Mrs E said...

Wow four days before your wedding! What a week!

Stacey said...

I took pictures of the tests I peed on too!
Following back :)

Mrs E said...

Glad its not just me Stacey!

cafebebe said...

Good lord! There's a lot of money invested in those photos! ;) How wonderful that you have those memories! Do you still have the pregnancy tests though?? I do! ;)

Thanks so much for linking up to Flashback Friday! Be sure to come back again! ;)


SAHMlovingit said...

Aw how lovely! And no it's not strange taking photos of you POAS...I did exactly the same. So funny that you did so many tests. What great memories!

Dianne x said...

I also have to admit i took photos too and I still have the sticks in the loft in the memory boxes.

Lets hope the children appreciate our efforts and memories!

Dianne x

Mummy's Little Monkey said...

I didn't take photos, but couldn't bear to throw the stick away (after washing it, of course!!!) I kept it up on a shelf, but the digital ones eventually erase themselves, so the message disappeared in time!!!! x

Dianne x said...

I have nominated your blog for a Leibster Award. Check my blog to see what its all about.

Dianne x